Having a unique arts attraction in Lake County is one of the best practices to becoming an arts destination.
The “Mural Trail”, with Lake County inspired murals (from themes on natural resources, culture, history etc.), can be our first attraction, building on both “quilt trail” and the numerous murals we have around the County. This includes the recent student murals in Clearlake. The LCAC RAI team will identify and manage the process between partners in this endeavor including local governments, locations, muralists and sponsors
Currently we are putting together a mural contest to kick off the Mural Trail and support the entire Rural Arts Initiative. This will feature 5-6 locations around the County with sponsors supporting the contestants. Sponsors’ donation will go to muralists (who will be “juried”), a money prize, and a college scholarship fund for a high school student who will be going on to a degree in “arts”.
Will feature 5-8 buildings around the County
- Be based on Lake County themes e.g.,:
- Have the artists submit drawings, plans, and bios for a juried panel to choose contestants (jury includes several nationally known muralists)
- Be judged by a “people’s choice” campaign that will provide PR and start our arts destination branding for Lake County
The murals for this initial contest will each be sponsored ($20,000 per mural). These Premier Sponsors will:
- Be a part of theme and location decisions
- Have a permanent mural plaque identifying the sponsor
- Be highlighted throughout the extensive PR/Facebook campaign as the murals get painted, placed & judged and when the high school scholarship is awarded
The monies from our mural Premier Sponsors will:
- Recompense the muralists and future murals
- Go towards a cash prize for winning this contestant
- Create a scholarship fund for high school students (chosen by the school) who are going on to higher education in the arts